Sunday, May 5, 2013

Forward and back again

This morning I tightened up the radiator and hoses, after replacing the water pump yesterday.  The car fired right up and ran cool for several minutes, I decided to steel wool the horn push and clean the steering wheel a bit while I watched the gauges.  All seemed well until I stepped back and looked down, where a pool of oil was spreading underneath the car.  I shut down the engine and crawled around underneath the car, the filter and lines were fine.  The leak was rather far back and then a light came on in my dim memory, the oil gauge line is a weak link in this chain.  I was right, the pipe to rubber hose junction was leaking. Luckily the leak was on the engine bay side, although with no carpet or interior in place a leak inside the cabin wouldn't have hurt much.

Tomorrow I need to install the master cylinder, so I can see if the clutch is frozen.  The brakes will need the cylinders rebuilt or replaced for sure.  If I can do a little driving I can see if the transmission is fine for use.  I am feeling my way along, to determine if I need to pull the engine or not before I get too far into the cosmetics of the interior.

Water pump, a Classic Gold from Moss.

A used coil I had on hand.

Rebuilt distributor,  I static timed the Pertronix and she fired right up
After I removed a large rag from inside the plenum, that is.
Will you pay me now, Jeff?

No comments:

Post a Comment